Deploying the IoT on a massive scale cannot be accomplished within a one-size-fits-all approach. With verticals ranging from smart cities and industry to retail, logistics and wearables, every use case must have the right connectivity.
Low-Power Wide Area (LPWA) networks are an energy-efficient and cost-effective alternative to cellular networks for transmitting small data packets from battery-powered sensors and devices over a long range. Among the available LPWA standards, Orange has adopted a proven solution for various B2B IoT use cases: LoRaWAN™, based on LoRa® technology.
LoRa in a nutshell
An open-standard LPWA technology
|Networks & devices available now
|Specifications of LoRaWAN™ MAC by LoRa Alliance
|Interoperability via LoRa Alliance & Orange certification programs
|Ongoing large-scale deployment in France
|Regional bands: Europe (868 MHz), Asia (923 MHz) & USA (915 MHz)
|Supported by a growing worldwide ecosystem
Key strengths of the LoRa® standard
|Lowest power consumption
|Long-range & deep-indoors coverage
|Dedicated deep indoor via nano gateways
|Bi-directional (250 bps-50 kbps)
|Fast & easy network rollout
|Native end-to-end encryption
Key verticals and use cases
The growing LoRa ecosystem
A growing number of players are adopting the LoRaWAN™ standard, including mobile operators, device makers and hardware providers to cover multiple IoT verticals. This cross-industry support, through the LoRa Alliance, has enabled the commercial launch of LoRa networks in more than 58 countries.
You should know: LoRa Alliance initiatives on the normalization of roaming and interconnection between members’ LoRaWAN™ networks enabled, in early 2018, the first successful field tests of actual roaming between nationwide public IoT networks, led by Orange, KPN and Actility.
Connect to the Orange LoRa network in France
- National coverage in France – find out your address coverage here
- 130+ B2B customers
- 3 months of free access to the LoRa network in France with the IoT Connect Low Power offer
Start developing for LoRa with Orange
- Developer guidelines: download the Orange LoRa device developer guide
- Technical documentation: access the LoRaWAN™ MAC node on Github
- Device and data management platform: discover Live Objects (includes dedicated starter kits & SDKs)
- LoRaWAN™ quality-of-service insight: read the in-depth breakdown by Orange Business Services (in French) of the lessons learned from deploying LoRaWAN™-based IoT networks.